Monday, October 18, 2010

Letter from a Soldier to an Old Friend

Dear friend,
I got your letter
Thanks for it—
How’ve you been?

Since basic
Things are better
I’ve been in Iraq since
I don’t know when

Haven’t seen you
In a long time
Hope everyone’s
Doing well

As for me
I’m doing fine
Got some metal in me
From a shell

Heard the news
You tied the knot
Couldn’t believe it
Congratulations

Wish I’d known then
Maybe could’ve got
Leave from where
I am stationed

Thanks for the words
Of confidence
You don’t know
What they mean

People are pissed
It doesn’t make sense
Like I’m fighting
This war for me

Someone asked me
Just the other day
Why the hell I’m here
Why I fight

You know I didn’t
Know what to say
Nothing I do
Ever comes out right

I often ask myself
Why I’m here
Losing my humanity
To this war

So I try not to think
Or dwell on the fear
And just push forward
When I’m unsure

I wouldn’t choose
To pick a fight
With people who hate
Us like they do

This whole thing
May not be right
So for your support
I thank you

Sometimes I wish
It could have worked
Thought we should have
Tried again

But it’s for the best
Even though it hurts
And I’m glad I have you
For a friend

Damn, things change
Can’t keep up
Just gotta hold on
Hope for the best

When things over
Here get rough
I think of you
My comfort in this mess

Whatever happens
I hope you know
I’m grateful for friends
And support, too

And whatever way
That this war goes
I’m not fighting for freedom
I’m fighting for you

No comments:

Post a Comment