Saturday, October 16, 2010

Whiskey Lullaby

Play me a whiskey lullaby, she said
It’s all I want to hear
The words don’t even matter
Just something to help me forget

Sing me a ballad to tonic and gin
To the potions of remorse
To the things we do to avoid regret
To our bitter past and bitter sin

The look in her eyes was faraway
Haunted by unnamable things
She poured a glass and raised it up
Here’s to the things that never stay

Here’s to love we lost or let slip by
Here’s to all the chances we missed
Here’s to wasting precious time
Here’s to the things we wish we’d tried

Play me a song about vodka straight
Hot going down like fresh tears on our face
A tune for what time can’t erase
An ode to inescapable fate

Play a whiskey lullaby, she said
Something sad and slow
A tribute to pain and not moving on
To words in anger and words unsaid

She raised her glass of Jack with a sad smile
Don’t worry about me tonight, she said
I’ll be OK come morning light
But now I just want to be sad for a while

Lose myself to what could have been
Get struck by a melancholy melody tonight
Get a little overwhelmed by life
Before I let the healing in

No comments:

Post a Comment